Sunday, September 21, 2008
Speaking of Physics…
When I was in my room the other day doing homework, I could hear the voices of my family members. I knew who was speaking and what they were saying without even seeing my family. What makes people’s voices and instruments sound different is due to timbre because the ear is hearing more than one note. Vocal cords are similar to rubber bands. Men’s voices tend to be lower because their vocal cords are thicker, and therefore, vibrate more slowly. Women’s voices tend to be higher, with thinner vocal cords, vibrating at a faster rate. The pitch, how high or how low a tone is, is primarily based on frequency. Pitch helps people determine whether a man or woman is speaking. A voice, with low-frequency, vibrating vocal cords, produces a sound with a low pitch. A voice, with high-frequency vibrating vocal cords, produces a sound with a high pitch. My brother is screaming in the picture below. He has a very distinct voice.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment