Sunday, December 14, 2008

Mirror Mirror In My Car

Everyday I drive to school and back home with my brother. I also drive most other places I go when I go places. I never realized it before but there is more physics going on in my car than imagined. Mirrors are an important part of cars. Without them we would not be able to change lanes too well and we would be crashing all over the place! That would not be good at all. The rear view mirror of the car uses a plane mirror, which is a flat mirror. With plane mirrors the size of the image is the same size as the image that appears as far behind the mirror as the object is in front. The side view mirrors are typically convex mirrors, a mirror that is curved outwards. With convex mirror the image that is formed is smaller and closer to the mirror than the object.

10 comments:

finklestein808 said...

Great entry! I like how you take the picture while you are 'safely' driving!

breland said...

nice picture! i just love mirrors

Matt Martines said...

this week sucked for driving because of the rain! driving would be even worse if we didnt have mirrors! thank god for mirrors!!!!

andrewatkinson said...

sometimes i dont use my eyes when i drive. i feel the road.

Brandon said...

It would be extremely dangerous to drive without mirrors. However, this week's rain really obstructs them with water.

Ayesha said...

There's a lot of physics going on in my car too! Clever name, by the way. Nice allusion to Snow White.

Christopher Llarenas said...

Whoa you can drive and take pictures thats dangerous

Anonymous said...

hi shantha i always used to wonder why it said the objects are closer than they appear until i took this class

Allie said...

i should get my license so i can experience a car full of physics too!

Anonymous said...

Niiice Shantha! Multi-tasking!
haha, good thing I saw this because I have a similar journal. Except I'm not driving. (X