Sunday, November 9, 2008

Speak(er)ing of Physics

I am always listening to music. When I am in my car I have the bass bumping, when I listen to my iPod I always have the volume way too loud and when I am in my room I have my boom box booming. I never really thought of how the speaker that I use to listen to my music work though until recently. A speaker uses magnets to work. A speaker has a coil of wire wrapped around a material that can be easily magnetized. Electricity passes through the wire coil and an electromagnetic field is created. The current going through the wire coils of the speaker are constantly being reversed by the amp. The number of times the coil changes polarity depends on the amp and the frequency of the tone being generated, the type of song you are listening to. As the coil vibrates the cone of the speaker reproduces changes in air pressure. Speakers are way more complex than they look. Most people probably do not know that speakers are just made up of a few simple components and that they could easily make their own.

No comments: